Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Alexandra


We talked with our contact yesterday in Haiti. I am not sure if we have said yet, but we found out recently that Alexandra has a biological mom and as of yesterday we found out she has a biological dad. The pastor of the orphanage has been trying to find the mom for a couple of weeks and apparently found the dad. The good news is that he said he is okay with Alexandra being adopted. He asked that he would be updated periodically on how she is doing. It is such a bittersweet thing for Jeremy and I. The sweet part is we feel attached to this little girl already and we want her with everything in us. The bitter part is that I am so sad that she has a mom and a dad that can't take care of her. I just cannot imagine being in their position and I cannot imagine saying "yes I am okay with another family taking my child to another country forever." Jeremy tries to reassure me that the culture is different there and I will probably never understand it. Ruben (our missionary contact) told us that they are like a lot of Haitian couples that keep having babies, but have no plan as to how to take care of them. Next week the pastor and Ruben are meeting with the mom and dad to talk about the adoption. Please keep us in your prayers as our adoption journey continues.

Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;

1 comment:

Stephen and Kelly said...

Thanks for the update, Ashley. I know exactly what you mean...the news about her biological parents is so sad and and yet so hopeful...
Keep us posted. We're praying for you guys daily. Love you tons!