Monday, April 27, 2009

Poe or Self

I have to brag on Tyler for a minute. His class had to write a poem to enter into The Diverse Youth Anthology 2009. Hundreds of students entered the contest and his poem was one of the poems chosen to be published. We joke with him about already being a published author at 8 years old. He rolls his eyes.
Yesterday he had the chance to read his poem at the Austin International Poetry Festival. He did a great job.

Me and the Court
by Tyler Self
Down the court I shoot baskets.
When I dribble it feels so fun. I think the fun of basketball has just begun.

I use defense and jump a lot.
Very tiring, but it’s worth a shot.

In offense I am aggressive.
Like Michael Jordan, I want to be impressive.

Thump, Thump I dribble on the court.
I go to the basket and make a dunk.

Basketball and I will be friends forever.
I hope I can get just a little bit better.

3 comments:

Stephen and Kelly said...

Congrats Tyler!!!!! You know, lots and lots of really cool authors got started early in life...who knows whats in store for you!

RhiDesign said...

Ashley! I have enjoyed looking at your pics! The boys are getting so big!! You all look great!

Nicole Mureiko said...

Hi Ashley! This is Nicole Lawrence. Somehow I lost your address. Do you think you could send it to me via e-mail? We're getting ready to send out invitations for the wedding, and though I know y'all won't be able to make it due to location, I still want you to receive an invitation to know that you guys are thought of and missed! Tell the boys I say hi and miss babysitting them!! God bless you.

Nicole L.
soontobemrsmureiko@gmail.com